Community Profile

 

 Name of Municipality

 City of Walker

 Government Form

 Mayor - Commissioners

 Reason for Name

 Continuation of the name of Walker Township

 Population

 23,537 from 2010 census

 Size

 26 square miles

 Location

 Northwest of Grand Rapids

 Motto 

 From Solid Roots - Strong Branches

 County

 Kent

 When Established

 1962 from Walker Township which was organized in 1837

 Physical Features/Rivers, etc

 Grand River on eastern border and rolling farm land

 Landmarks/Monuments

 Walker Interurban Station and Centennial Farms

 Natural Resources

 Oil, Plaster Mines, Muck Farms, Gravel Pits

 Ethnicity

 English, Irish, German, Dutch, and Polish

 Trade

 Early years lumbering, farming, and plaster mines

 Industry

 Retail, automotive parts manufacture, furniture manufacturing,   lumber yards, plaster mines, and sand mining

 Agriculture

 Orchards and vegetable and fruit farms

 Libraries

 Kent District Library / Walker Branch

 Museums

 Walker Historical Museum - Northwest of the Walker City Complex

 Parks

County:  Johnson Park, new Millenium Park

City:  Community, Alpine Estates, Harmon, English Hills, Lincoln  Lawns, City Central

 Local Crafts

 Woodworking, ceramics, and gardening

 Oldest Church/School

 Wesleyan & Fairview Reformed Churches - Kinney School

 Shopping Districts

 Alpine Avenue, and Standale Business District

 Sporting Events

 Soccer, football, baseball, track, golf, Walk-er Run, skating

 History

 Now a shell of the original lands as organized by the State of Michigan in 1837, Walker has changed from a rural faming community, feeding the large population of Grand Rapids, to equal status as a city.  Today, the city is  self-sufficient with Fire and Police protection.

 Significant Historical Event

 Organization of the City in 1962

 Attractions

 Tree-lined streets/roads, open spaces, spacious homes, great schools, great shopping, bus and City services

 Colleges/Universities

 Served by Grand Valley State University, 6 miles west