Community Profile

Name of Municipality City of Walker
Government Form Mayor - Commissioners
Reason for Name Continuation of the name of Walker Township
Population 23,537 from 2010 census
Size 26 square miles
Location Northwest of Grand Rapids
Motto  From Solid Roots - Strong Branches
County Kent
When Established 1962 from Walker Township which was organized in 1837
Physical Features/Rivers, etc Grand River on eastern border and rolling farm land
Landmarks/Monuments Walker Interurban Station and Centennial Farms
Natural Resources Oil, Plaster Mines, Muck Farms, Gravel Pits
Ethnicity English, Irish, German, Dutch, and Polish
Trade Early years lumbering, farming, and plaster mines
Industry Retail, automotive parts manufacture, furniture manufacturing, lumber yards, plaster mines, and sand mining
Agriculture Orchards and vegetable and fruit farms
Libraries Kent District Library / Walker Branch
Museums Walker Historical Museum - Northwest of the Walker City Complex
Parks County:  Johnson Park, new Millenium Park
City:  Community, Alpine Estates, Harmon, English Hills, Lincoln Lawns, City Central
Local Crafts Woodworking, ceramics, and gardening
Oldest Church/School Wesleyan & Fairview Reformed Churches - Kinney School
Shopping Districts Alpine Avenue, and Standale Business District
Sporting Events Soccer, football, baseball, track, golf, Walk-er Run, skating
History Now a shell of the original lands as organized by the State of Michigan in 1837, Walker has changed from a rural faming community, feeding the large population of Grand Rapids, to equal status as a city.  Today, the city is  self-sufficient with Fire and Police protection.
Significant Historical Event Organization of the City in 1962
Attractions Tree-lined streets/roads, open spaces, spacious homes, great schools, great shopping, bus and City services
Colleges/Universities Served by Grand Valley State University, 6 miles west